Does your teen love fresh baked cookies? Maybe a better question would be who doesn’t like fresh baked cookies. Simple and lip-smackingly delicious, these cookies from New York’s popular By the Way Bakery (with locations in New York City and Hastings on Hudson) won’t last long. What’s more, this ginger cookies recipe is gluten free and dairy free.
Makes 3 dozen
- 2 1/3 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 plus 1/8 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup candied ginger, diced
- 3/4 cup organic, non-dairy shortening (like Earth’s Best)
- 1 cup, packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 Tbsp (approx) Demerara sugar for rolling
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt, and spices.
2. Place the candied ginger and 2 tablespoons of the dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until pieces are coarsely chopped. Set aside.
3. Beat together the shortening with the sugar at medium speed until well combined.
4. Add the egg and molasses and continue mixing until well combined.
5. Reduce speed and add dry ingredients and ginger.
6. Refrigerate the mixture over night.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
8. Shape dough into 1 inch balls, then roll the balls in Demerera sugar. Place the balls on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
9. Let cookies cool for 3 to 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove the cookies to a wire rack until they are cool.
10. Enjoy this delicious treat!
Click here to read our interview with Helene Godin, founder of By the Way Bakery. Godin left a 22-year career in law to open By the Way Bakery.
Helene Godin left her job of twenty-two years to open By the Way Bakery, a store that specializes in gluten free and dairy free baked goods that everyone can enjoy.