We love a great salad. So, when Cleveland-area restaurant Sweet Melissa shared its popular Quinoa Salad with Grilled Chicken recipe with us, we were absolutely delighted. This salad has got it all: protein, grain, feta, and delicious fruit, like watermelon and blueberries—all topped with a scrumptious lemon vinaigrette dressing. And it’s so easy to make! Mmmmm, it’s a perfect lunch (or dinner or midnight snack).
Yields 2 servings
For the salad:
- 5 oz grilled chicken breast (12-14 thin slices should be plenty)
- 2 Tbsp cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup halved grape tomatoes or same with chopped tomatoes
- 2 oz mixed fresh herbs (consider using whatever you have growing in the garden: parsley, mint, basil … any combination is delicious!)
- ½ cup watermelon
- ½ cup strawberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- 1 ½ oz lemon dressing (see recipe below)
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 ½ oz arugula
- pepper to taste
For the Lemon Dressing:
- 1 clove garlic chopped fine
- 1 oz white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dry mustard
- 1 Tbsp extra strong dijon mustard
- 3 oz lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 4 oz olive oil
1. Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing, except for the olive oil, in a bowl. Then, slowly drizzle the olive oil into the mixture to combine. Mix well.
2. Toss the ingredients for the salad. Slowly drizzle the finished Lemon Dressing over the salad. Toss gently and be sure to coat evenly.
Tip: Make the chicken and dressing in advance and this becomes an easy, quick, healthy weekday meal, especially during those salad-eating summer months. Just pair it with your favorite crusty bread and you’re good to go.
You can store this meal in the refrigerator for up to one week.
This recipe is courtesy of Cleveland’s popular Sweet Melissa restaurant. Sweet Melissa has locations around greater Cleveland and serves this salad year round.