Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien is devoted to creating tasty, healthy, and guilt-free yet delicious recipes for the whole family. Queen of the Hungry Girl empire, Lillien is known for her low-calorie, yet mouthwatering food products and simple, easy-to-follow cookbooks. Having battled with her weight for years, she realized that she was approaching food all wrong. Instead of cutting out all the yummy yet unhealthy stuff, she just decided to tweak it, so healthy wasn’t swapped out for tasty!
Check out her veggie-packed, nutrient-filled, quick-to-make sloppy Jane stir-fry recipe for a delicious, simple, and easy recipe that your family won’t even realize is healthy! You can swap out that lean ground beef for lean ground turkey for an even healthier meal—finally a dish that everyone will love!
- 3 cups bagged broccoli cole slaw
- 2/3 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp brown sugar (not packed)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 5 oz raw extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
- Dash of salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Dash of chili powder
- Dash of paprika
1. Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add broccoli slaw and 1/2 cup water. Cover and cook until fully softened, 10 to 12 minutes. Uncover and, if needed, cook and stir until water has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all remaining ingredients except beef and seasonings.
3. Transfer slaw to a medium bowl, and blot away excess moisture. Remove skillet from heat, re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Add beef and seasonings. Cook and crumble for 4 to 5 minutes, until fully cooked.
4. Finally, add the tomato mixture and slaw to the skillet and cook and stir until hot, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.
From THE HUNGRY GIRL DIET. © 2014 by Lisa Lillien, reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Press, LLC