Quick question: Which East Coast college has hundreds of unique clubs and teams, including … wait for it … a quidditch team? Trick question. They all do.
Almost every college I’ve visited so far this year has been proud to boast this unique tidbit, unaware of the fact that it’s being said in just about every college information session out there. And no matter how many times I hear it, I don’t plan on joining the Harry Potter fan club.
In fact, it’s actually pretty difficult to recall the handful of schools I’ve seen. I hear the same things everywhere I go. That being said, there are two things I’ll never get tired of hearing about on each college visit—where I can find the best ice cream on campus, and the fact that no matter where I go, there’s a good chance I’ll be able to play with puppies during finals week!
I know that wherever I end up there will be libraries with places for me to study, intramural sports teams and more clubs than I could ever want. So, college admission’s staffers, here’s what I really want to know from my college tour:
Questions For College Tours
- Am I going to be stressed in my classes?
- Do the students here spend their weekends at tailgates or in study sessions?
- Is the school so big that I’ll never see a familiar face?
- Or is it so small that I’ll know everybody, and their favorite color, by the second week?
- Why is this the place where I should spend my next four years?
In other words, I’m searching for something that will make me want to go to a specific school—something unique enough that I won’t be able to find anywhere else. And, for me at least, it’s not quidditch.