Tired of the same old pasta week in and week out? Want to try to make your favorite Italian recipes in the comfort of your own home? Looking for a new dinner recipe that the whole family will love? Try chef Rocco DiSpirito’s delicious Shrimp Fra Diavolvo. With just the right amount of spice, you’ll love this delicious (and healthy) take on an old Italian favorite.
- 2 oz whole wheat farfalle
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliceed
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, drained but not squeezed
- 1 ¼ lbs extra-large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring four quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add 2 teaspoons salt. Add the farfalle and boil according to package directions, about 8 minutes for al dente. Drain the farfalle and reserve.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until golden brown (about 2 minutes).
3. Add the pepper flakes and parsley and cook for 10 seconds.
4. Add the vinegar and cook until most of it evaporates.
5. Squeeze the tomatoes into the pan with your hands and cook until almost all of the liquid is evaporated.
6. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add to the skillet, cover and turn off the heat to let the shrimp gently cook through, 6-8 minutes.
7. Add the pasta, turn the heat to medium, and bring the mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat, divide into four bowls, and enjoy.