Are your kids not a big fan of fish? Ours too. That’s why Joy Bauer’s tilapia with spicy tomato-pineapple relish is our go-to fish dish. Tilapia packed with nutrients, protein, and essential oils, paired with yummy pineapple and fresh, delicious, and nutritious tomatoes make for the perfect, well balanced, delicious, and easy meal that the whole family will love! For a quick, easy, and unique dish that’ll get your kids eating their fish, check this out!
For more great tips, check out our recent Q&A with Bauer.
- 4 six oz tilapia fillets (or any other mild white, flaky fish like cod or haddock)
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ cup crushed pineapple canned in 100% juice, well-drained
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 tsp chili paste, such as Sriracha (or more to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat the foil with oil spray. Place the tilapia fillets on the prepared baking sheet and season them with the salt.
2. In a small bowl, combine the pineapple, tomato, and chili paste. Divide the topping evenly among the tilapia fillets.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the tilapia flakes easily with a fork.
Notes: The sweet-and-spicy relish is also great for topping grilled chicken breasts or pork tenderloin medallions. Serve with a generous amount of steamed or lightly sautéed asparagus, broccoli, or spinach.
Joy Bauer, MS, RDN, CDN, is the health and nutrition expert for NBC’s Today Show and author of, most recently, The Joy Fit Club: Cookbook, Diet Plan & Inspiration. Bauer is not only a nutritionist, but also a mother of 4. Dedicated to health and wellness, Bauer is devoted to dreaming up healthy and nutritious but still kid-friendly recipes that you can effortlessly put together yourself. Read more about Joy and search her collection of recipes at joybauer.com.