If your family is a fan of Bob’s Burgers, the animated Fox sitcom created by Loren Bouchard, then you already know the Belcher family and their ongoing struggle to run their family burger restaurant. You’ve also probably noticed the running joke on the chalkboard of the “Burger of the Day.” Every day, Bob, the restless creator of new tastes and bad puns, tasks himself with the creation of a new burger special with a silly name. What you might not realize is that the show’s writers used a real-life young chef, Cole Bowden, to “conjure up real recipes to legitimize us—and add a dash of respectability to our made-up food.”
Bouchard has gathered all these fun, delicious recipes into The Bob’s Burgers Burger Book: Real Recipes for Joke Burgers. From Season 1, Episode 8: “Art Crawl,” here is the Poblano Picasso Burger, an all-beef patty topped with a spicy poblano salsa verde, fresh tomatoes, and Monterey Jack cheese. According to Bouchard, “a Picasso never tasted so good. I mean, we’re assuming his paintings tasted terrible. Anyway, this burger is delicious.”
Bob’s Burgers Burger Book: Poblano Picasso Burgers
Makes 4 burgers
1 lb high quality, freshly ground “choice” grade chuck beef
1?4 cup chopped white onions
1 tsp butter
1 large poblano pepper, stemmed, halved lengthwise, and seeded
4 tomatillos, husked and quartered
1 jalapeño pepper
1 lb ground beef
4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
1 large tomato, thickly sliced
green leaf lettuce
salt and fresh-ground pepper
- Preheat your broiler.
- To make salsa verde: Cook the onions in a small frying pan with butter over medium-high heat until translucent.
- Put the poblano and tomatillos in a small casserole dish and place 6 inches under the broiler for 5 to 10 minutes, until the skins start to brown.
- Add the cooked onions, broiled poblano and tomatillos, and jalapeno to a food processor or blender, and puree; set aside.
- Form 4 patties, season both sides with salt and pepper, and cook the burgers as you normally would, making sure to melt a heavy helping of Monterey Jack on top.
- Build your burger: Bottom bun, cheeseburger, a generous helping of salsa verde, tomato, and the top bun.